Saturday, October 1, 2011

Skin Cancer

Well, I have inheirited my Dad's fair skin and also the genertic trait to be more suseptable to skin cancer. At the ripe old age of 28, I had my first pre-cancerous leasion. It was about 1cm in diameter above my right eyebrow. So to have it removed and have any scar I guess having it by your eyebrow is the least conspicious place to have it.

AJ went with me and Jack to surgery last Wednesday and we were the ONLY people under the age of 60 there... no joke. The Doctor and all the staff kept saying how young I am to be a patient! Sigh... I had a procedure done called Moh's Surgery and it was very quick. However, for a 1cm leasion they made a 3inch long cut above and below my eyebrow. I was told it was so the skin for heal and look as cosmetically pleasing as possible. If he just stretch the skin closed from a circle cut, I would of had a pulled up eyebrow and a permanently "surprised" look on my face! Hehe. So I guess it's good... I just look like Frankinstien in the mean time.

It's supposed to heal quickly and the stiches are already dissolving but the skin is a little lumpy which I get to start silicone treatments for scaring and massage treatments around the area to reduce the lumpy skin. Fun... anyway... I guess this is the begining of a long life of looking out for these leasions. No more tanning casually... AJ said he would make me wear a turtle neck and a ski mask when we go to the pool each summer from now on... what a great guy! ;o)

It's very swollan here, also my nose never looks this big in pictures... hmmm.... it looks much better now, a week later. Either way, I'd appreciate your prayers for quick healing for me and all of the many other patients who undergo this surgery each and every day!

No comments: